Think you have to put up your windsurfing gear until the next season? Think again! You may be thinking we’re crazy, windsurfing in the winter?! Yes!
That’s exactly what we are talking about, and it could become one of your next favorite adrenaline-inducing sports that you can do this winter!
Of course, windsurfing or windfoiling in the wintertime requires some special gear, we can help you get equipped for your adventures at 3RK.
Ready to learn more about winter wind foiling? Let’s take a look at some of the gear that you’ll need!
First, a primer on windsurfing in the winter!
Windsurfing/Wind Foiling in the Winter
Windfoiling is better for getting on the water in the winter than windsurfing for 3 main reasons:
- You don’t need as much wind to have fun.
- When you ride a large and stable board, you can uphaul the sail easier, and time in the frigid water will be limited.
- If you aren’t a complete novice, you are less likely to fall in the water. Even so, make sure to wear a wetsuit because if you stay dry, you can keep sailing for a long time without feeling too cold.
Best Windsurfing Foils for Winter
The Ghost Whisper 19 by Slingshot is a high-performance foil that offers a playful ride for all skill levels. It is made from super light but stiff carbon, but with a larger, low front wing that gives it ample lift, stability, and performance at lower speeds.
This foil is ideal for entry-level or experienced riders who want a playful, surfy feel with tons of range and great performance at low speed.
- Self-centering gull-wing design
- 91 cm mast-perfect for cruising
- Friendly for all riders
The Exocet RF series foil windsurfing boards offer more control at high speeds and are easier to foil than previous Exocet designs. Due to their unique design and shape, they perform well in all conditions and with their flat deck and volume distribution, all foils that are mounted to them are more stable, comfortable, and efficient.
Windfoil riders looking for more control at higher speeds favor the RF line from Exocet.
- 2 size options: 81 and 71
- Durable AST construction
- Foil is the ideal position for early takeoff
- Deep Tuttle Foil Box
- EVA deck pad
This is the easiest way to get started windfoiling this winter with an all-in-one package! It has stable and user-friendly Flite 120 wings and a non-intimidating 24” mast. It is designed to get you up and out of the water easily and safely and comes equipped with a foil too!
- PU foam core
- Flite 120 Carbon Wing
- Padded wing covers
- 24” aluminum alloy mast
Quick Winter Wind Foiling Tips
- Get used to the cold. Try to make regular sessions out in the cooler water in the fall so you can get used to the cold water gradually.
- You need to be in good physical shape when you go windsurfing/wind foiling.
- Don’t go out on the water when you are tired or hungover.
- Eat a healthy meal before your session, and drink plenty of water and warm drinks!
- Stop your session before the sun goes down. If not, you’ll have to pack up your gear in the dark. No fun.
- Don’t forget, try not to fall in the water…it’s quite cold!
Get Ready for Winter Water Sports with 3RK
If you are ready to give winter wind foiling a try, or if you’re already an avid windfoiler, you need the best high-quality gear to get you out there on the water. That’s where 3RK comes in. Because you know what they say…you’re only as good as your gear!